Friday, January 5, 2007

Depressed, Disgusted & Disturbed

It's almost 4 am and I'm still up.

Why? Because I can't sleep.
Why? Because I've been looking at disturbing pictures over the internet all morning.
Why? Because I thought I could handle it.

Apparently, I can't handle it.

It will probably take me some time to get these images off my head. I'm already feeling shaken (for 2 days now), thanks to youtube for featuring Saddam's full execution.

It wasn't intentional, I was googling the web and I came across this website that had some really graphic photos of Abu Ghraib prisoners as well as the bodies of Qusai and Uday Hussein.
They were horrible photos.. I wish I never saw them.

I've been watching cartoons & sitcoms ever since, but I still can't chase the memory of these pictures off my head.

And then I thought.. okay, I'll -image- google Khartoum.. my beautiful city.. & then I'll create a folder and save some cool pictures of Khartoum, maybe add some on my blog.
And what do I find?.. a picture of a urinal.
Yes, a urinal.
It was the nastiest thing I have seen since 2006.
Did you know there was a website for urinals? They have a top 10 and everything. And there's commentary section as well.
And the urinal I saw (unfortunately) was the one at Khartoum International Airport.

That's what happens when you have too much time in your hands.

PS - I'm not adding any links. If you're interested in looking at urinals, image google "Khartoum".

4 comments:

  1. LOL @urinals.. lol now I know NEVER to image search Khartoum.. hehe.. u want soem nice pix I can send u ones of Khartoum not urinals..

    ReplyDelete
  2. YES THAT WOULD BE NICE! thank you.

    Email them right over!

    ReplyDelete
  3. All things die. In this universe, the only constant is entropy.

    Given this, we are all likely to experience death, many times. Given the time and place we live in, we are likely to experience horrors, many times. Abu Gharib? How about Khiam? How about pretty much any prison in the Arab world? How about the Laogai, where millions are tortured, starved and worked to death every year?

    Why run and hide from it? Death and pain are a part of life. Revulsion is a natural reaction to horror... but it serves but for a brief while. If you would bring change and lessen the horror, you must first accept it and look at it with eyes unclouded by emotion or instinct.

    Sorry if I sound cold... but the average temperature of the universe is close to absolute zero.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Why go far when these torture stories have been happening right where I live? Let alone the hundreds of other places around the Arab world & outside.
    I don't know if you saw the video Drima posted "the party" it reveals the gruesome & horrific facts of tortures happening in the prisons of my very own country that people weren't (still aren't) aware of.

    Very sad & depressing, and like you said, it's as though the whole world is on permanent anaesthesia.

    ReplyDelete