Did you know that there are 3 types of FGM?
Each one is worse than the other, in ascending order.
This website contains useful info on the clinical management of FGM, and you can see for yourself the level of damage on the female genitals before and after giving birth.. as well as have a clear view on how painful the procedures of infibulation & suturing are.
PS- some may find the images disturbing.
Ouch! I don't even wanna look.
ReplyDeleteStrange, how a "tradition" (and I'm talking both male and female circumcision) - that is so remote from my daily life, can enrage me so.....
I can't seem to be rational about it.
HH, male circumcision is healthy, innocuous, superficial & is an obligation in Islam. OTOH, FGM is harmful, can be fatal & has no base in Islam.
ReplyDeleteTrue, FGM is more of a tradition, and it's shameful that it's still being carried on to other generations.
ReplyDeleteHipster, I'm not 100% sure, but I think there's a type of female circumcision which is a Sunnah in Islam, i.e. it is said to be healthy and shields the girl from temptations. I assume it's the first type? I'm no doctor or expert, but it's labeled as the first type of FGM.
Sorry, ladies, much as I try, I cannot even think about it w/out cringing.
ReplyDelete"male circumcision is healthy, innocuous, superficial " maybe so, but still "unnatural" IMHO. Nothing to start fighting about though.
I guess what I object to is the lack of choice for the child. Whatever an adult wants to do to his/her own body, for religious, social, health or any reason, is fine with me, but a child cannot chose for itself.
And even if there"is a Sunnah in Islam, [..]shields the girl from temptations." It belongs in another time and space.
If a girl is troubled ny "temptations" there is medicine.
And medicine is not a "final solution"
Shouldn't a woman have pleasure with her man ?
Strange, I come from a culture that is very liberal about sex.
Halalhippie,
ReplyDeleteI think the Sunnah female circumcision (if I may call it that) does not deprive the woman from having pleasure, unlike the other types of "pharaoic" FGM that involve suturing and alterations.
HH,from what I understand(Allah knows best),if the part doesn't get cut off, it may cause diseases!
ReplyDeleteMimz, yea, I heard so too but, nevertheless, it isn't an obligation:)
HH, here is an interesting article about Islam's view of sex:)
http://www.themodernreligion.com/misc/sex/sadaqa.html