Tuesday, January 9, 2007

Happy Peace Day

Today is the anniversary of the signing of the CPA.

The whole country took the day off as an official holiday (except my university, we were the only ones working today, attending lectures normally as though we live in a separate island or something).

5 comments:

  1. If I were president, I would have your Vice Chancellor hanged for disobedience! :)(kidding!)

    Happy peace day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. "I would have your Vice Chancellor hanged for disobedience! :)(kidding!)"

    LOL, am sure they'd like that too..

    Well, am sorry but am totaly against this holiday.. I mean, yes we should be celebrating the sign of CPA, and finally after years of war peace is setteled between north and south,, but look around you.. is this truely peace?
    Is this what they fought for? is this what we really wanted?!

    I dnt think so, and I think this holiday thing is just another way the government is playing us around and fooling with our minds!

    anyway, Happy - Any thing but Peace- Day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL @ BK.

    When I walked in to school this morning everybody looked really pissed.. I think they're all waiting for graduation before they pull something on this guy. Me I'll just wait for you to get elected president next year :)

    Precious, at least you got to sleep! I had to wake up at 6.30 am in this freezing weather.
    You shouldn't be against ANY holiday. Even if it's Getting Drunk & High Day.. a day off is a day off, and it's much needed! Six days a week is pretty exhausting.

    Regarding peace b/w the north & the south, look where we are now & look where we used to be 20 years ago. Improving by just a tad is better than not improving at all.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Precious, which is better: a bad peace or a good war?

    As I always say, WE (as Southerners) are happy that AT least the guns have fallen silent. Nobody in the South wants to go back to another war. 2 million dead is too much already.

    Why do we celebrate peace day, or any other day for that matter? I believe the remembrance makes us stop and think, evaluate how far has been achieved and what more need to be done. President Bashir and VP Salva Kiir exchanged blames for the delay on the CPA in public during the celebration in Juba. Now everyone knows there are problems. I hope they will then cooperate to amend. If NIF don't honour the agreement, then they are in effect pushing Southerners to vote for separation (i.e if the referundum is held at all!)

    I am not for the parties and drinking and skipping school just because it is a holiday. The spirit behind it is what that matters.

    ReplyDelete