Friday, December 29, 2006

Eid Mubarak!

Today is such a special day. It's a Friday and it's also the "standing on Arafa" day. It's known that if you fast on this very holy day, your sins from the previous year and the next will insha'allah be forgiven. A bonus to that is that it's a Friday, the Eid of all Muslims.
For those of us fasting, may Allah accept.

Tomorrow is EID! Finally, a holiday (that I needed badly).
Eids have their own taste here in Sudan.. everybody's celebrating. Children getting Eideya (Eid money from parents & family), wearing their new Eid clothes, buying candy and toys.
As a child, I've always loved Eid. I used to fold my new clothes and place them neatly beside my bed the night before Eid as I anxiously lay on my bed, wide awake, waiting for morning to come. It's funny how I thought that Eid was a person (sort of like a Santa?) who came every year to make little children happy.

So the outlines for the coming Eid days:
Day 1 is a day at my grandmother's, where there will be lots and lots of meat (good or bad?)
Day 2 is a day at my sister's, where there will be just as much meat. It's also New Year's Eve!
Day 3 is finally, a day at my friend's where we will be making our own, meat-free food, and lots of dessert.
(Usually after Eid people don't eat meat for a while!)
Day 4 is a relaxing day at home.

Everyone,
Happy Eid.. Eid Mubarak.. kolo sana winto taybeen!

4 comments:

  1. EID Mubarak to you as well. Just a thought came to my mind. U said about lots of mieat. Do you approve of killing of so many innocent animals to celebrate a festival ?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous,

    Thanks.

    This religious "festival" as you call it was actually initiated for a) celebrating the survival of Ismail (AS) and b) for feeding the poor and needy.
    Every household has to give away its share of meat to the hungry.
    So if the killing of so many animals means there will be less hungry people in the world, then yes I approve of it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow...cool today is my lucky day..I am finding sudanese bloggers left and right first hipster then u..and what's funny is like both of u...I am also a Sudanese born and raised in UAE...lakin ya nas into konto wein this summer when i went 2 UAE...anyways..ya zola kul sana w inti tayba...I also wrote about Eid..I guess it's a common theme now adays...yalla salaam

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Dana, welcome to blogosphere :)

    Check out other Sudanese bloggers; Precious (also raised in the UAE), Sudanese Thinker, Nomadic Thoughts, Black Kush, Fluent Sudani, Sudan Fairytale.

    Eid Mubarak to you as well.

    ReplyDelete