In May I received an email from BlogHer notifying me that I was chosen as one of the four recipients of the 2012 International BlogHer Activist Scholarship. This was before any of the major protests sparked and way before my detention. I couldn't contain my excitement; particularly since visiting New York has always been a dream of mine. I spent the next few weeks planning my trip to attend the BlogHer 2012 conference which was scheduled in August. I then became consumed with the June protests and the sudden outbreak of #SudanRevolts.
June was a very emotional month for most of us who witnessed the #SudanRevolts in Khartoum. I watched as the NISS deported a good friend of mine and arrested, detained and tortured many more of my friends and fellows from the activist community. In late June I was detained briefly and subjected to a series of detentions. The BlogHer award was the last thing on my mind. Consequently, I missed my visa appointment. These are usually scheduled a month ahead of time. I emailed the BlogHer organizers and informed them that I wasn't going to make it this year. They were kind enough to write about my ordeal on their website and offer me the scholarship the following year.
July was a very hectic month for me. My detention had cost me my BlogHer scholarship, which I had come to terms with, but it had also cost me my job. I was lost and confused and had no alternative plans. Just as I started to lose faith, I received an email from the US Embassy's Consular Section informing me of a new interview date. This was in mid-July and the conference was due in a couple of weeks. I contacted the BlogHer staff who were very supportive and asked me to keep them posted. I was granted the visa and things flowed smoothly afterwards.
At BlogHer 2012, I met so many incredible people. I was at the pre-BlogHer party when I met the women who made my dream a reality. Everyone was so pleased to see me and seemed very relieved that I made it to the US. I was overwhelmed with the amount of support that I received. I got to meet the other three international activists... three amazing women who are working really hard to make a difference: Fungai Machirori from Zimbabwe, Ana P. Santos from Philippines and Tara Livesay from Haiti.
Thank you Shannon, Polly, Elisa, Cheryl and all the incredible BlogHer staff. This has been the most exciting experience of my life.
Thank you A., who personally wrote to the US Consular about my situation and helped me get a second chance at an interview. I am forever indebted.
Listen to the podcast of the panel here.
Tweet
June was a very emotional month for most of us who witnessed the #SudanRevolts in Khartoum. I watched as the NISS deported a good friend of mine and arrested, detained and tortured many more of my friends and fellows from the activist community. In late June I was detained briefly and subjected to a series of detentions. The BlogHer award was the last thing on my mind. Consequently, I missed my visa appointment. These are usually scheduled a month ahead of time. I emailed the BlogHer organizers and informed them that I wasn't going to make it this year. They were kind enough to write about my ordeal on their website and offer me the scholarship the following year.
July was a very hectic month for me. My detention had cost me my BlogHer scholarship, which I had come to terms with, but it had also cost me my job. I was lost and confused and had no alternative plans. Just as I started to lose faith, I received an email from the US Embassy's Consular Section informing me of a new interview date. This was in mid-July and the conference was due in a couple of weeks. I contacted the BlogHer staff who were very supportive and asked me to keep them posted. I was granted the visa and things flowed smoothly afterwards.
At BlogHer 2012, I met so many incredible people. I was at the pre-BlogHer party when I met the women who made my dream a reality. Everyone was so pleased to see me and seemed very relieved that I made it to the US. I was overwhelmed with the amount of support that I received. I got to meet the other three international activists... three amazing women who are working really hard to make a difference: Fungai Machirori from Zimbabwe, Ana P. Santos from Philippines and Tara Livesay from Haiti.
Thank you Shannon, Polly, Elisa, Cheryl and all the incredible BlogHer staff. This has been the most exciting experience of my life.
Thank you A., who personally wrote to the US Consular about my situation and helped me get a second chance at an interview. I am forever indebted.
Listen to the podcast of the panel here.
Tweet
Thank you so much for this lovely thank you note, Maha. We were so thrilled that everything worked out or you to come. It was our honor to host you.
ReplyDeleteSo lovely Maha! And so lovely to have met you! I wish you all the best in what is to come ahead. Onwards and upwards :)
ReplyDeleteKeep inspiring xxx
Maha, thank you so much for all you did to journey to New York to share with us the story of your blog and bloggers throughout Sudan. Know that we are thinking of you and following you!
ReplyDeleteMaha, thank you so much for coming and speaking to BlogHer. It was my privilege to meet you, Fungai, Ana, and Tara and to see you all speak, and to run your story on BlogHer.com -- and to discover your blog. All the best to you!
ReplyDeleteGood job Maha =) Beltawfeeq Inshallah.
ReplyDeleteReem, no.
ReplyDelete